We stayed here while visiting family, so for us it was just a place to sleep. However it was very nice. Convenient for the M62 so would suit business travellers. There were several parties going on during our stay but we couldn't hear any noise. No elevator to 2nd floor which may be a problem for people with limited mobiity, so request a ground floor room.
The Cambridge Hotel is walking distance to the town center, yet is in a quiet area with a secure CCTV controlled car park. It is of very recent construction with spacious rooms and well appointed with comfortable king size bed. Our one negative is the lack of drawer space for a one week stay. We had to continue living out of our suitcases!
The reception and house staff were very friendly and helpful. Visiting friends and family in the area, we made little use of the restaurant, but what we had was of good quality, well presented and reasonably priced.
Fortunately we were not there during a heatwave - our top floor room did not have AC but a small skylight window in the sloping ceiling gave sufficient air for moderate summer temperatures.
We have already recommended to other travelers as Huddersfield is not well supplied with quality accommodation close to town.
Gwyn from New Zealand
Welcome to the Cambridge Lodge. Situated just a short 5 minute walk from Huddersfield Town Centre and only half a mile from …More
We were at a dinner dance close by. We didn't spend enough time in this gorgeous building so we're deciding which theme night to go on. Want to experience it!!! Love the building. The staff are fab. We only had a budget room. I'd love to stay in the superior next time tho.
An imposing manor house hotel originally built in 1870 as the home for a local businessman, It has been tastefully converted …More
"Heritage Serviced Suites--quite good, could be better"
1. Attractive modern room in converted mill with high wood beam ceilings and spectacular view over the town.
2. Studio has kitchen corner with sink, microwave, fridge, toaster, crockery, utensils, and wash-up liquid.
3. Powerful shower with hot water. In Britain and Europe these things cannot be taken for granted.
1. My studio was NEVER serviced during my 7 night stay. Nor was it pristine when I arrived (chewing gum, old box). You are supposed to ring for service but there are no phones provided in the rooms.
2. No table to work at or eat off.
3. Noisy neighbors talking at night in corridor.
4. Latch key system stops you locking yourself out but adds to the noise level. Doors have no restraints, and tend to bang on opening or closing. You hear your neighbors coming and going.
All this said, I would consider staying here again, partly because of the lack of acceptable alternatives in the Huddersfield area.
Summary: quite good, good be better
This is one of the best places I have stayed, and I've stayed in plenty! Fantastically helpful, friendly staff. Superb food, cosy surroundings, and most important, a sumptuous comfy bed! Will be back for sure!!